Tuesday, March 17, 2009

my first shot in customizing Twitter

Right now, I'm doing some Twitter development in the evenings, and it's taking some time. I have an idea on the interface that I want to present and I've started it here. In summary, this early-stage application:

-Uses the Twitter API and cURL to make an authenticated call to Twitter, retrieving information on my friends' (and my) most recent tweets. Here, I'm still trying to educate myself on the available data. Right now, the application is using the XML data feed and I'm able to pull in and process other feeds as well. I just need to learn more about the API to get the data (for example, formatted URLs) that I want. I'm choosing to pull in only 10 updates, to create a current list.

-Uses an RSS feed from a public WorldCat.org list that I've created. One of the real downers here is that there's a data dump into a description element (and the title information is duped in the description data).

As I add articles and other items to my [Summit] WorldCat.org list, they immediately appear on the Twitter bibliography in the lower half of the application. Users are able to click into the Summit record for more information. It may be that I could get better data by using the WorldCat Affiliate Services API (and, for example, get around the description element data problem described above).

Just getting started...the most challenging part of the work that I've done is making cURL work and then using the returned XML in the program. There are lots of working examples out there in different languages. I code in Visual Basic 2008, and found both the Twitter API and this article (although the latter's examples are in C#) helpful in employing cURL in my application.

No comments: