Monday, August 24, 2009

pogue's the world according to twitter

I picked up The world according to twitter, and with 965 (and counting) tweets to my name thus far, I'm eager to read this work. Also, I've followed the author (David Pogue, a New York Times technology writer) on Twitter for some time, so I came in with some understanding on how he uses the service.

I've become a heavy user of Twitter, though, like Pogue, I didn't quite get the service at first (my second tweet, or posting on the service, was this thought: "Why Twitter?? Somebody please explain..."). A key strength is its user community of relatively well-educated users ("two-thirds of us have college degrees") and it's these users, plus the microblogging service's technology, that make Twitter the killer service that it is today.

I found the "what's your brilliant idea to improve air travel" section not only humorous, but really a statement on how uncreative most of the current carriers are, whose most innovative programs include charging for checked baggage and snack boxes. I mean, why not charge for carry-ons???

I was hoping for something usable under "new term for something that happens on the Internet"; some good ideas, but nothing really grabbed me. The best? Leftove, the tweet that can't fit into 140 characters, no matter what.

No comments: