I've been working with XML technology and the DSpace software so much recently that I've had to go back and refresh my MySQL/PHP knowledge. True, the DSpace stack has an RDBMS component, PostgreSQL, but all database operations are normally performed using the Web-based DSpace UI, either administrative or user.
Typically, to perform database proficiency work, I go online and find preprepared data sets. One good source for existing data sets is athletic web sites; this time of year, it's college football program data. I've started working on a site using data from my undergrad institution, Texas A&M. I have little knowledge of the current [football] program, but it's a good data source and I'm at least interested in their progress....
I'm building an Apache/MySQL/PHP application on my Windows desktop. I worked up this query last night:
SELECT `schedule`.`date`, `schedule`.`opponent`, `stadium`.`name`, `stadium`.`city`, `stadium`.`state`, `stadium`.`surface`, `stadium`.`capacity` FROM schedule INNER JOIN location ON `schedule`.`number` = `location`.`number` INNER JOIN stadium ON `location`.`stadium_code` = `stadium`.`stadium_code` WHERE `location`.`type` <> 'h'
It's amazing how foreign that SQL looks after working for some time with querying a native XML database, in which queries are written as well-formed XML.
