Sunday, September 10, 2006

wsu mySite analysis

I've recently begun working with Washington State University's mySite system. mySite uses Microsoft's SharePoint Services technology, which my organization (the Libraries) has employed in units and in groups to support collaborative work (discussion board, shared documents). mySite can be used by students, faculty, and staff at WSU, but the system is clearly oriented to support student work such as group projects and storing papers and portfolios. (Ideally, Research Exchange will be employed to support long-term preservation of digital cotent such as student portfolios.)

mySite can be accessed through the myWSU portal system and can be accessed from workstations in the WSU domain. I'm currently developing my public mySite page (WSU AD authentication required).

Nils Peterson publishes updated information on mySite, including its use on campus, in his blog. One document that Nils refers to is the system comparison of mySite with other current WSU learning systems. The AD authentication and campus-only limits for mySite use are described in this document, along with some of the system features, including RSS support and support for Webparts.

I sort of like the mySite system, but I'd already grown accustomed to using SharePoint through a number of projects..which would not typically be true for students. I'm skeptical whether mySite as architected (as an internal system) will gain a lot of traction.