I was reading a Peter Hirtle editorial published in 2001, and it got my attention because it deals with an issue that I had touched on during a presentation that I made at Online Northwest 2008 in the last week of February. That is, what does the term "archives" in "Open Archives Initiative" really mean? The specification founders addressed this issue, noting in a 1999 article that they used the term to describe "a repository of scholarly papers." In my recent presentation, to illustrate the challenges in multi-disciplinary project communication, I referred to this conception of "archives" and compared it with the definition of archives from an archival science perspective.
Back in 2001, Peter Hirtle described the confusion between OAIS and OAI, due to the latter effort's use of the term "archives," suggesting that the best solution would be "a name change for OAI." It gets more confusing when you consider the fact that Van de Sompel and other researchers have worked to support preservation thru OAI-PMH using extended metadata formats; this article is one of several following this line of research. As Hirtle notes, be as precise as possible when using terminology.
Saturday, March 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment