Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday WorldCat.org 1 - social networking integration

Not quite what I expected, but I spent the second half of this afternoon in a small group setting discussing issues about and watching demos of the WorldCat.org platform. This session was sponsored by OCLC; one of the facilitators was Bob Schulz, the WorldCat.org manager.

Unfortunately, I had a commitment relating to my institution's development work with the ArticleReach software, and was unable to attend a later OCLC session that dealt with WorldCat.org software development (both OCLC and end-user).

One new thing that I learned about during today's session is WorldCat Identities. Here's a great example that shows how the service works: Hyman G. Rickover, who had a long career as the head of the Navy's nuclear propulsion program; an author who wrote on a variety of topics (including naval history, engineering, and management); and, a controversial public figure. I really like the timeline and associated subjects features, along with facets such as publication language.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Thanks, Al. Sometimes the sessions weren't quite what we expected, either--but we're glad you came and would love to hear more ideas from you and your readers about how to make WorldCat.org even more useful and an even better experience all the way around.