Monday, July 20, 2009

the race for perfect

I'm now reading The Race for Perfect, Steve Hamm's 2009 history of the development of portable computers. I'm typing this first paragraph on my battered but powerful BlackBerry handheld computer, which supports electronic mail, web browsing, interactive work with the Facebook and Twitter services via client software, and SMS and MMS messaging (the latter of which I'm using to post to the blogger service).

Hamm's description of the development of the de facto MS-DOS standard, and Compaq's role in making this happen (circa page 52) is instructive. In fact, this book's coverage of the development of portable computers provides several case studies, the review of which is valuable to any computing professional. I did find some of the sections on Lenovo product development too micro-level and difficult to read, though they do indicate development trends in portable computing. Between the technical trade-offs and typically low profit margins per unit, it's easier to understand, to borrow a quote from the book jacket, why you've got to carry around multiple devices.

I was intrigued by one side incident described by Hamm...the fact that market research suggested that the Sony Walkman product, released in the 1970s, would have any demand (see page 135). At some point, you've got to go with your gut instincts.

One significant negative to The Race for Perfect is its lack of photographs and illustrations. There is a short, non-glossy photo and illustration section with some design examples, but it omits a number of models described in the book. I have some knowledge of classic microcomputers through living in DC and attending the "Information Age" exhibit at the Smithsonian more times that I can count. Still, I'm not able to grasp all of the design issues raised by the author (see page 61 for a typical hardware design discussion) and the inclusion of a more extensive section to cover all of the major models discussed (Compaq LTE, Mac Portable, ThinkPad 701C...) would have been extremely helpful.

No comments: