Monday, January 22, 2007

over the Cascades

Finally, we're headed over the Cascade range and home from the 2007 Midwinter meeting. Earlier today, I commented on the difficulty that library organizations tend to have in taking a leadership role in the use of social networking solutions, like those I heard discussed in sessions on Friday and Saturday. On the bus trip back, I'm preparing an internal presentation on SharePoint Services, a complex collaborative working environment. It provides social networking functions (discussion lists, document sharing), albeit in a proprietary environment. It's important to note that WSU has implemented its mySite personal information management system within the same SharePoint framework.

The CONTENTdm session that I attended earlier today was extremely valuable in terms of understanding the benefits of the 4.2 release. During the discussion period, I brought up one concern, poor Google indexing of collection image content. More to come on this point.

No comments: