I received an e-mail message today with this info (from a Google web support blog).
I can't really complain about Google indexing, and I've successfully used the Sitemap protocol to broaden access to archival documents in the Northwest Digital Archives program. But I believe that Google's assertion that "fewer than 200 sites are using OAI-PMH" to support search engine indexing is misleading. From experience, Google's support for OAI-PMH doesn't extend to the entire specification. Specifically, if the optional flow control support described in the specification is built in to the OAI-PMH data provider instance, the harvesting bombs. Neither I nor the software developer who did most of the development coding for the NWDA's OAI-PMH instance were very happy about this problem. Eventually, he developed an application that supports the Sitemap protocol (long before the Google announcement on OAI support).
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment