Wednesday, April 30, 2008

iug day 3 - using google analytics

I started this morning in a productive ArticleReach update session. I got a good lead on "copying" ArticleReach data to ILLiad for copyright management purposes from two librarians in the NExpress consortium. Lynne Branche-Brown summarized the current and planned ArticleReach capabilities.

Attended a session on the application of Google Analytics to a Millennium Web OPAC system (at Ohio State University). This was useful in picking up some general tips on the use of Analytics; the amount of Millennium-specific info was very small. I've been working with Google Analytics in the context of NWDA web page/researcher interface use for over a month. The data are beginning to look useful. I still haven't figured out how to deal with the HTML/XHTML compliance issue regarding the insertion of Analytics code. (Here's one discussion page that mentions this issue, at least in passing.)

Two more sessions left this afternoon. I did meet a doggie (male, about 40 pounds, a mutt) who was tied up outside a Chipolte Mexican Grill on Calvert Street. He let me lean on him for about two minutes before peering back inside, looking for his owner.

No comments: