Tuesday, May 15, 2007

more data retrieval: excellent presentation on Expect scripting and macros...

I just attended an excellent presentation led by Elizabeth B. Thomsen of NOBLE. She described a number of data retrieval methods from Innovative systems, one that I disliked (loading exported Millennium data into Access), but several others that I found quite intriguing. For the character-based system, Thomsen described her organization's use of Expect scripting to support the automation of data retrieval tasks. She also provided a very detailed explanation on the use of Macros within the Millennium system. I discussed some of this information with two of my WSU Libs colleauges, and I believe that through understanding our current data needs and retrieval methods and the fuller application of these automated methods, my institution could make great strides in data retrieval from the Millennium system. The session (in one of the Marriott Salon rooms) was very well attended and I give Thomsen a lot of credit for explaining data retrieval options with great clarity.

No comments: